7 Tips to Getting Fit and Losing Weight in 2017!
It’s the start of a New Year and most people are setting, or have set, a resolution to lose weight and get fit. However, sometimes that is one of the hardest things for anyone to do. Most know what foods are good for them and that getting fit is great for the body. Intentions are great, but the problem is trying to stick to that goal.
Sometimes simple goals such as eating 5 pieces of fruit at each meal, or not consuming carbohydrates after 6 pm for instance can be challenging. Keeping a food diary or writing about your progress on a blog may be another good idea to help keep you accountable and on track.
Don’t completely deprive yourself of favorite foods, especially in the beginning, but you also don’t want to overindulge as well. It can be hard, but these 7 tips will help a person not only meet their goals but help them, and you, stay on track!
- 1. Start the New Year Fresh and Forget Goals Not Met: Remembering how you may have failed and not met goals will not help you succeed. It might even keep you from moving forward. Thinking about past failures at any sort of self-control may cause us to just repeat them.
- 2. Strong Desire to Want to Change: To make any real change, you need to not just talk about it but want it and take action.
- 3. Get Support from Family and Friends: Having a good support system or even a buddy to work out with. Support can also help a person to build good habits that they will be able to stick to.
- 4. Setting Yourself Up for Success: When you establish a specific plan or goal, you will have a better chance of accomplishing them. For instance, you are hoping to eat healthier and lose 10 lbs. Write down why you want to lose weight and eat healthier, make a workout plan and keep track of what you eat in a food diary or write a blog post about your journey.
- 5. Ease into a Routine: Don’t go all out if you’re just getting started or haven’t been exercising for awhile. Take your time and ease yourself into a routine so that you don’t get overwhelmed.
- 6. Change Up Your Exercise Routine: Don’t continuously stick to one single exercise, if you do, you will create a muscle imbalance. What that means is that when you do the same exercise over and over, you are focusing on the same area in the same way. For instance, you may have defined toned legs while your arms are undefined.
- 7. Schedule Your Workouts: Make a point of writing in your planner or on a wall calendar of when you will be working out. Think of it as a business meeting or appointment that you must keep.
Perhaps you ate a lot over the holidays and put on a few pounds. With the start of a new year, you have an opportunity to start fresh and get yourself fit and into shape.
Getting yourself fit will not happen overnight, keep in mind that you will have a few aches and pains. Experiencing muscle soreness is usually a good thing but also an indicator that you are working on those muscles.
Sticking with your routine despite the soreness means that eventually you will be able to workout pain-free and get stronger. Remember to take rest days in between and allow yourself a day off. If you don’t give your body time to recover, it won’t adapt to your workouts.
Our staff at Stanford Chiropractic Center want to help you get fit in 2017 and continue to achieve overall wellness. Call us today at 650.326.7000 to set up an appointment and a chance to win a Fitbit!