GREEN FOOD GIVES YOU POWER!
To say that we live in a world full of preservatives and chemicals could probably pass off as an understatement. Look everywhere in the supermarket and you’ll see rows of canned and bottled food, floating in questionable “sauce”. Although the price may be a factor in the decision to purchase these goods, it is even more important to think of the cost of your health.
Greens are known for their antioxidant properties, and their ability to make you feel full without all the extra calories. This is why salads are popular for people who go on a diet. You can lose weight without starving yourself through healthier eating habits.
The thing with greens is that they are packed with nutrients, which you can lose when you overcook them. While you have the option to just blanch or steam them before eating, you can maximize their health benefits by eating them raw.
We have here a list of greens guaranteed safe to eat without having to cook, according to Raw School. Eating Raw or lightly blanched saves you time as well as provides you the full nutrient value.
- • Asparagus
- • Bok choy
- • Beet greens
- • Brussels sprouts
- • Cauliflower
- • Celery
- • Kale
- • Collard Greens
- • Lettuce (Romaine, iceberg, red and green leaf)
- • Basil
- • Oregano
- • Sage
- • Fennel
- • Parsley
If you need more convincing why eating green is good for your body apart from the known fact that it is healthier, we have here other facts that might give you the green light to finally eat the right way.
• Most greens have antioxidant properties. You might think you have to buy expensive beauty products to stay young-looking, but you could also achieve the same effect naturally by munching on fresh greens. Think broccoli and spinach—they have nutrients that not only keep you healthy, but also give you the fresh glow you long for.
• Green vegetables are good for your heart. Just because February is over does not mean you can stop taking care of your heart. Greens are known to help lower cholesterol levels, helping to reduce your risks of hypertension which could lead to heart attack.
• These vegetables have fiber and carbs. The carbs present in those yummy greens are complex ones, which also have fiber to help you with your digestion. They flush out toxins in your body and also regulate your blood sugar levels.
• Leafy greens like dandelions and kale are good for your eyesight. These greens have lutein, which is needed to preserve great vision. They also decrease the risk of cataracts and help you see clearer.
Now that you know how eating raw vegetables, especially greens, can improve our health, you have no more excuses of not having enough time to prepare real food at home. You can eat healthy without cooking. Just remember to wash them thoroughly and only buy the freshest ones you see.
We at Stanford Chiropractic care about you and your health! Contact us for a consultation today.
This month we are raffling off a Breville Juicer for our focus on Going Green in March!
Find us on Facebook for the official rules.